Step 1. All egg donor candidates for our Texas donor egg program must meet the following criteria:
- Between 21 and 32 years of age
- No illicit substance or chronic alcohol abuse
- Normal weight
- No family history of congenital disease
- Pass psychological screening
- Complete and pass physical exam and history by a physician in our facility
- Complete and pass all lab testing
- Completely fill out page 3 of the “Egg Donor Questionnaire"
Because the criteria are strict, not all applicants will qualify to become an egg donor.
Step 2. Once we receive your “Egg Donor Questionnaire” allow approximately 1 week for a response. At this stage of the process, all calls and questions should be directed to the Donor Egg Coordinator.
Step 3. Once your Donor Questionnaire has been reviewed and accepted, you will come to our office for a physical exam and review of your medical history by one of our physicians. We may also perform a pap smear or other appropriate tests as indicated.
Step 4. All potential egg donors must meet with our psychologist for an evaluation. The psychologist will review your social history, mental status, level of support from family and significant others, marital satisfaction (if applicable), and your general well-being.
Step 5. Once you have completed Steps 1-4, you will be notified if you are eligible for the “Egg Donor Work Up” visit. This visit consists of a number of blood tests, cultures, and a pelvic ultrasound.
The most common tests are listed below. More tests may be required.
- AMH (antimullarian hormone) levels
- Genetic chromosomal screening
- Drug screen
- Cystic fibrosis screening
- FSH (follicle-stimulating hormone) levels
- LH (luteinizing hormone) levels
- TSH (thyroid-stimulating hormone) levels
- Prolactin levels
- Hepatitis panel
- RPR (screening test for syphilis)
- ABO group (blood type screen)
- STDs (eg, chlamydia, gonorrhea, mycoplasma, ureaplasma)
- Tay-Sachs, Canavan disease for donors with Ashkenazi Jewish heritage
- Sickle Cell disease, Thalassemia (CBC with hemoglobin electrophoresis) for donors with African American, Asian, Mediterranean, and Hispanic origins.
- A pelvic ultrasound will also be performed to evaluate your ovaries
Step 6. Please allow 2-3 weeks for our donor egg program to complete the evaluation process. You will be contacted with our decision.
NOTE: A recipient may request additional testing.
To find out if you qualify or to learn more, please call our office at (713)467-4488.